Blister packaging is commonly used for small items like batteries, medicines and toy cars. While medicines are normally thought of as being contained in a blister pack, anything that has a plastic front and another material (usually cardboard) for the back is considered a blister package. These nifty devices do a great job of keeping products safe while making it easy for consumers to get to one item at a time, or to an item that needs to be accessed quickly. Consider the following benefits of blister packaging:
- Freshness. Particularly for items that are used one at a time, having individual compartments can keep them at the ready for whenever the consumer is ready. Herbs, medications and other environmentally sensitive items may benefit from blister packaging for this reason.
- Dosage or serving size. For medicines and certain foods, these packages evenly portion out an item so that the consumer does not use too much of the product at once. Some seasoning blends benefit from blister packs because the company has already predetermined the amount needed for certain recipes. In a similar manner, medicine dosing is easier to understand and safer for the consumer when a this type of package is used.
- Packaging materials. Aesthetically, a plastic blister container is a good choice because it provides the product with a range of options for creating a visually appealing and texturally pleasing experience. Generally, plastic and cardboard are used in commercial applications. In the pharmaceutical industry, plastic and aluminum is normally the best choice to keep the product fresh.
- Visibility. With a plastic front, these containers allow consumers to view the product before purchasing. Doing so provides reassurance the amount of product contained is as advertised and that all pieces are accounted for. Even though customers can view the item, they cannot touch them. As such, the product is safeguarded from thieves and tampering.
- Security. For items that need to remain immobilized, the blister pack is an ideal solution. The individualized and generally small compartments do not allow for the movement of product within the packaging. This design protects items from damage caused in transit.
- Customization. Because all plastic blisters are thermoformed, every design is unique to the product being sold. Regardless of the size or number of items contained in the blister pack, it can be customized to fit the needs of the product.
From lip balm to SD cards, a blister pack makes for a great marketing and packaging tool. If you have a product you think might be a good candidate for these versatile containers, contacting a company who is well versed package design is the first step. A poorly made container may come apart at the seams with exposure to heat or jostling in transit. The team at Plastic Ingenuity is familiar with the best practices in the industry for creating durable and consistent packaging. Contact us today!