In industries such as medical device packaging, where even the slightest oversight…
The Safe Quality Food certification has become a hot topic in the packaging industry. As an SQF-certified company, PI values the importance of food safety and believes it to be a crucial consideration for the packaging process. Here, we’ve outlined the definition of the SQF standard, as well as the advantages of using an SQF-certified company for your plastic packaging.
What is the SQF Standard?
SQF is a standard that “incorporates fundamental food safety controls…(to) indicate a comprehensive implementation of food safety and quality management systems,” according to the SQF Institute. The SQF certification, endorsed by the Global Food Safety initiative, creates a consistent guideline to ensure consumers that food is safe to eat.
Advantages of Working with an SQF Certified Company
Working with an SQF-certified packaging company can ultimately prove to be highly beneficial for your business. Here are some of the many advantages of working with a company that has the SQF certification:
- Save Time and Money—When packaging your food products, you’ll need to be adhering to the SQF certification. By choosing a packaging companythat is already SQF-certified, you can make your packaging process that much easier. You’ll ultimately be saving time from having to search for a company. Many companies offer their SQF checks as a value-add, so working with an SQF-certified company can also save you money that you would otherwise have to spend on annual third party auditing services.
- Consistent Quality Control—Consistency is crucial for every SQF run completed for your products. If you work with an outside company to run an audit on your plastic food packaging, you could be at risk for inconsistent runs. By having your packaging company complete the SQF audits for you, you can know you have properly evaluated products every time.
- Total Traceability—When you work with an SQF-certified packagingcompany, you can trace an SQF from beginning to end. From the inputs, including the resin, regrind and cooling stages, to suppliers, you’ll get a detailed report of your SQF. This can give you peace of mind knowing that your products adhere to requirements and that they haven’t been compromised. A third party auditing service could not provide these same benefits, and products may become contaminated or unsafe during the back and forth delivery of products.
- Prevent Hazard Protection—Companies should consistently think one step ahead in terms of food safety and protection. By making sure your packaging meets SQF standards, your company can work toward proactively preventing any safety or sanitation issues
- Enhances Trust From Buyers—If a company doesn’t have a proven track record of food safety, they may be less likely to purchase from them. An SQF certification lets consumers know the company is providing sanitary food that’s safe for consumption.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) approximately 40% of…